Our branch membership is 1300+
It includes federal public service, R.C.M.P. and Canadian Forces retirees and surviving spouses / partners in Burlington, Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Dundas, Flamborough, Glanbrook, Wentworth County, Brantford, Brant County, Simcoe, Port Dover, Norfolk County and Haldimand County
A little history of the National Association of Federal Retirees Hamilton and Area Branch ON37.
The national office of the then Federal Superannuates National Association was formed in 1963 by Fred Whitehouse, formerly the President of the Civil Service of Canada, who also established the Victoria B.C. Branch as the first branch of Federal Retirees. Late in 1963, Fred Whitehouse contacted a former colleague, Mr. Harry Whetton, then President of the Hamilton and District Council of the Civil Service of Canada, about forming a branch of Federal Retirees in Hamilton and its surrounding area.
On March 16 in 1964, Harry Whetton convened a meeting of retired federal civil servants with only 12 attending because of inclement weather. At that meeting the Hamilton Branch of the Federal Retirees was founded with Mr. G.T. Fitzsimmons as the first president of the new branch.
The first branch executive started a recruiting campaign among retirees. Over the next 20 years branch meetings attracted over 100 members and in 1984 the branch expanded its area and changed its name to the Hamilton and Area Branch. When the branch formed, it included retirees that resided in Burlington, Oakville, Brantford, Simcoe, Cayuga, Grimsby, Niagara-on-the-Lake as well as the towns and villages in the Hamilton-Wentworth area.
The retirees residing in Oakville, east of Burloak Drive, and what is now the west part of Milton were transferred to the Halton-Peel Branch when it was formed. The retirees residing in Grimsby, and Niagara-on-the-Lake were transferred to the Niagara Peninsula Branch when it formed.
Some of the centers included in the branch area are the communities of Hamilton, Burlington, Dundas, Ancaster, Flamborough, Waterdown, Glanbrook, Binbrook, Brantford, Simcoe, Cayuga, Caledonia and Port Dover. Membership remains in excess of 1300 members.