Many organizations provide financial assistance to veterans and their families. The following are some funds that can help veterans and their families who may need financial support for different reasons.
The Royal Canadian Legion Poppy Trust Fund is available to veterans —including serving and former Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) and RCMP members — and their dependents. Grants are available for food, fuel, clothing, prescription medication, medical appliances or equipment, essential home repairs and emergency shelter or other similar types of assistance. You can apply for financial assistance from the Royal Canadian Legion by contacting the service officer at your local Legion branch or provincial command or through Dominion Command.
The Dominion Command of The Royal Canadian Legion also acts as a coordinator for several United Kingdom Benevolent Funds through the Royal Commonwealth Ex-Services League. These funds are generally reserved for veterans and their dependents who suffer misfortune, encounter an emergency or are seriously disadvantaged. Veterans or dependents who have ongoing difficulty making ends meet may also be considered for an annuity.
For more information, call toll-free at 1-877-534-4666 to speak to a Legion service officer.
The Royal Canadian Naval Benevolent Fund is available to veterans who served in the Navy and their spouses. For information, call toll-free at 1-888-557-8777 or 613-996-5087.
The Canadian Forces Personnel Assistance Fund provides financial assistance to serving and former CAF members and their families through the following programs:
- Minor Disbursement Program provides grants up to $200 to relieve temporary distress and to promote the well-being of serving and former CAF Regular Force members and their dependents. Grants are available on a one-time, lifetime basis.
- The CFPAF Financial Distress Program offers grants up to $5,000 and loans up to $25,000 to serving and former CAF Regular Force and Reserve Force members.
For more information, call toll-free at 1-888-753-9828.
The Support Our Troops Program, administered by the Canadian Forces Morale and Welfare Services also provides financial assistance through a number of programs:
- The Military Families Fund provides financial assistance to serving and former CAF Regular Force and Reserve Force members and their families who find themselves in unforeseen situations. They may have immediate financial needs resulting from conditions of military service.
- The Soldier On Fund was established to support ill and injured military personnel with a permanent or chronic disability. It is available to both serving and former CAF members and their families to help them attain an active and healthy lifestyle. It helps personnel increase their independence, develop new skills, achieve goals and open the door to other life opportunities.
- The Hospital Comforts Fund ensures that serving CAF members who are hospitalized for longer than 48 hours have access to telephone, television, Internet services and reading material for the duration of their stay in hospital.
For more information on any of the funds in the Support Our Troops Program, send an email to Fund.Military@cfmws.com or call toll-free at 1-877-445-6444.
Lastly, funds are available from the RCMP Benefit Trust Fund to provide financial relief and promote the well-being of former RCMP members and their immediate family members. For more information, contact the RCMP Veterans Association national office by telephone at 613-993-8633.