Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Disability Benefits

Man hiking

Did you suffer an injury or illness related to your military or RCMP service?

Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) provides disability benefits and pensions to eligible veterans and civilians. 

What is a disability benefit?

Disability benefits are financial payments for those with a service-related disability. To receive a disability benefit you must have a diagnosed medical condition or disability and be able to show that it’s related to your service.

Depending on the circumstances, two different types of benefits are available: a disability pension and a disability award.

What is a disability pension?

 A disability pension provides monthly tax-free payments to the following groups of people:

  • War Service veterans (including Merchant Navy veterans) of the Second World War or the Korean War
  • Civilians who served in close support of the Armed Forces during wartime
  • Current and former members of the RCMP
  • Current and former members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) who applied before April 1, 2006

What is a disability award?

The disability award provides injured CAF members or veterans with a tax-free award for an injury or illness resulting from military service.

You can apply for a disability award if you meet these two conditions:

  • you are a CAF member or veteran who served after April 1, 1947, other than in the Korean War
  • you have a service-related injury or disease or a non-service-related injury or disease that was aggravated by service

How much do I get for a disability pension or award?

The amount of the pension or award depends on:

  • the degree to which your disability is related to your service (entitlement)
  • the extent of your disability (assessment)

Your rank or years of military service have no connection to the amount you may receive.

Benefits can also be awarded to the surviving spouse, common-law partner or other qualified dependents of the CAF member or veteran.

How can I apply?

For help preparing and submitting a disability benefit application:

  • Contact VAC by visiting the VAC website or calling toll-free at 1-866-522-2122 (English) or 1-866-522-2022 (French).
  • Locate your closest Royal Canadian Legion Command Service Officer by consulting the Legion website or calling toll-free at 1-877-534-4666.

Can I receive any other benefits and services?

People who receive benefits under these programs may also be eligible for other financial or health and well-being benefits from VAC. Contact VAC for more information.